SPRING CLEANING TIPS
Dust off your winter blues and welcome the warm weather. It’s spring time in less than 3 days! Let us help you prepare for the warm season with a few spring cleaning tips. Here’s how to clean your space in the most efficient time:
1. De-clutter your space:
- Put away those winter boots. Store away your snow shovels. De-clutter your winter items by storing them away in boxes in bins. Find some space in your home (or office) where you can keep tote bins for a few months out of the year. As they say “Out of sight, out of mind”, store away the items you won’t be using till next winter. Not only will it create more space in your living area, but it will prevent unwanted dust and dirt from accumulating (which means LESS cleaning for you!)
- REMEMBER- Label your tote bins and boxes. This will make it easier to find your winter gear during next season.
- THROW AWAY or DONATE anything you really don’t need: Clothes, furniture, toys, tools, papers, etc.
2. Dust and disinfect EVERYTHING:
- Clear off desks, shelves, bureaus, cabinets, etc. Make sure all of your surfaces are empty.
- Start your dusting process from TOP to BOTTOM. This may require you to use an extendable duster. Try a feather duster; It’s a tool the extends to a length that can reach high ceilings and vents. Also, a feather duster is easy to clean after it’s used. Vacuum off the feather duster’s dirt and dust.
- HERE’S A TIP: Use that feather duster to quickly sweep along the walls. It might be hard to see, but on a nice sunny Spring day those cobwebs will show!
- NEXT, dust off all surfaces including the shelves, inside cabinets, furniture, etc. Then, use a multipurpose cleaner or furniture polish. Apply with a rag and wipe down EVERYTHING.
- Dust/wipe/clean/disinfect every thing you took off of those surfaces you just cleaned. Make sure everything is cleaned before placing back onto where it belongs.
3. Clean your floors:
- A few key phrases to keep in mind with floor cleaning are: Sweep, Vacuum, Wash, Spot Clean, Shampoo, Strip and Wax, Mop
- After you have vacuumed and spot cleaned your carpets with a carpet cleaning product, ask yourself if your carpet actually looks clean. Have you ever had your carpets professionally cleaned? If you haven’t, consider it! It is one of the best things you can do for the carpets because a professional cleaner will shampoo and extract built up dirt and stains from your carpet. Treat your carpets to a professional cleaning because without proper care, it could lead to permanent stains and damage. Do you really want to spend way more money replacing your carpets? Instead, take good care of them and you can avoid that!
- Do you have VCT floors in your home or office? VCT floors should be stripped and waxed on a regular basis to maintain a beautiful shine. If you haven’t had your VCT floors stripped and waxed during the winter, have them cleaned within the next few weeks. Show off the beauty of your facility by having your floors professionally cleaned!
- All other floor surfaces should be cleaned during your spring cleaning. Make sure to sweep before mopping. Use a multipurpose floor cleaner to wash all of your hard floors (bathrooms, kitchen, etc.)